Monday, January 17, 2011

SKIIIIISSSSSS

It's hard to want to write when there's so much fun stuff happening in this little Whistler bubble. But when it's been raining for four days, and temperatures are above zero, we all know the snow will be rubbish and slushy. That's the joys of having a season (and a season's pass) in the snow - there's no pressure to go up everyday, and to stay up all day. We've found the perfect timeline though - 8.03am bus to Creekside, and we can be up the top of the mountain by 8.32am (there's clocks). On a powder day, we can get two runs of fresh tracks in, even if I start work at 9.30am. And if it's shit - we go to the pub, then home for a nap. Apres ski naps are the best - you're so exhausted, your hair is flat and oily from your helmet and inside is so warm that your face flushes and you pass out. Apres ski drinks are also quite nice..nothing like a Caesar to restore all essential nutrients to an exhausted body - vitamin C, pepper and vodka...all essential.

Phill and I have just made a massive investment in our future. Skis! I have never owned or used brand new skis or boots, and I'm as excited as a fat kid (or even just me) over cake. When we first arrived in September, there was huge sales on. Without knowing anything about skis or boots, and being a little too excited to be here, I bought some 150cm skis and boots two sizes too big - off a very cheeky salesman who in hindsight didn't care much about me. I'm 178cm, and skis that size look ridiculous on me, especially since I can, you know, ski.

So after riding them for 6 weeks and (slowly) learning how to ski powder, and getting paid our Christmas wages, we splashed out. My new skis are twin-tips (which means I can learn how to go backwards and do jumps), 169cm, with brand new light-weight bindings. My boots are so awesome that they only have two buckles, and look a little like terminator boots. The linings are so soft and supple, I'm pretty sure they're lambs wool. They're super cozy, but a little too cozy on the toes - bruise kinda cozy. It's painful at the moment, but I've gotta just stick with it and mould them into my wonderful foot shape.

These skis though - phwoar! They just float on the snow. I'm finally hunting down powder instead of trying to avoid it, and that's a good feeling. On the groomers they turn nice and sharp and I'm getting the hang of the extra length.

Phill also got some brand spanking new bindings, and snow pants - so now we're all set with proper gear and we're looking good. I'm still rocking out the Vancouver 2010 ski pants, but obviously I do it with style and panache.

So with such big investments, it's highly likely we will book in for another season. Two months have passed already, and I've only have one day on Blackcomb mountain! Christmas was a hectic time for all the locals - Phill and I both had only one day off over two weeks. It's a kind of write-off period, and now thank goodness it's back to normal. I have three days off a week, and Phill can ride every morning before work. This week I was even forced to ski to and from work - the village gondola was down so all us pros got to ride out about 4pm (before hitting the pub).

The next six weeks or so are shaping up to be awesome. We have Nick and Sam coming for three weeks, then our old neighbour from Newcastle Joey coming for a week, and finally - after a year without seeing them - Mum and Dad! Mum's going to cook so much for us, and Dad is going to be so impressed with my turns.

But then even when we don't have old friends visiting - we have our new friends! This little friendship group we've established is just ridiculously awesome. If you're sick you will get a home-cooked meal; if you lose a ski it will be found; if you injure your shoulder, you will get prescription drugs; and when skiing you know these people will wait at every landmark before spanking it down the run to the next junction. I learn so much from my awesome Swedish skiing friends and just thrive when I'm on the mountain with them. Without our seasoned locals Helen and Mitch, we would not have discovered half of this freaking huge mountain. And of course our token Canadian Lisa lends a bit of respect to our cause while living in Canada.

There's a constant drip outside my window right now - all the snow on the roof is freaking melting. It's a slushy old way of life at the moment - but when the temperatures do finally drop, it will be a dangerous place because all the slush will turn to ice! I have bruises all over from dainty falls on my arse, and now I strap up my helmet even when walking to the bus. Just to be safe.

I have a new favourite sound - obviously because of my skis. When the snow is a bit chopped up, and because my skis are so awesome and fat, they slap the snow. Just a soft slapping noise that you won't hear anywhere else. Slappity slap. Second favourite sound - avalanche bombing in the morning. Third favourite sound - the beeping of the snow plow as it reverses in and out of driveways on our street - that means it's been snowing overnight! And although I still love the sound of rain, the silence of snow is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment